Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Book Review: By Your Side

TITLE: By Your Side
AUTHOR: Kasie West
PUBLISHED: January 31rst, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary, Romance
PREMISE: A boy and a girl spend a few days locked in a library together. It blooms into a romance of sorts...
MY REVIEW: I've been meaning to look into West's contemporary fiction for awhile now. I've read her Pivot Point Duology and I remember enjoying it a bit. I saw this latest one in the library and figured, why not?
It's pretty typical YA romance stuff. Boy and girl forced to spend time together. Love blooms. Each have things they're dealing with. Friends and family make the romance more complicated then it needs to be, stir till fluffy. I did appreciate that West did not have the friends be horrible. I kept waiting for that moment when we'd get the typical bashing of the popular kids thing that tends to happen in books like this, but it actually never came. That was a pleasant surprise. There was also a nice female friendship in there, and no slut shaming. The love interest wasn't a total douche. It was a romance I could get behind. It doesn't sound like much, but you'd be amazed at how few YA contemporaries manage to pass this incredibly low bar that I have.
In short, it was a typical YA romance with a contemporary setting. If you want something that is light and fluffy, this will probably do the trick for you.
WHO SHOULD READ: Kasie West fans, those looking for cute romances to read
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five cute couples I can root for

No comments:

Post a Comment