Saturday, August 29, 2015

Book Review: Uprooted

TITLE: Uprooted
AUTHOR: Naomi Novik
PUBLISHED: May 19th, 2015
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl from a village is taken to be a dragon's servant for ten years.
MY REVIEW: Confession time: I've never read the Temeraire series, which is the series this author is known for. No reason I haven't read it. I just never got around to it. After reading this one though...I think I may have to give it a look sooner, rather than later. Because I kind of loved this.
Most of the reason I loved this came down to the storytelling. This is an author who knows how to weave a tale to keep you hooked. I loved the imagination going on in the world. It's one of those worlds you just want to spend more time in. There are complicated characters, but it never goes overboard with how messed up they are, like some of these dark fantasy books can sometimes do (hey there, Game of Thrones). I mean the dragon in this has issues, but he's also kind of endearing in the way he gets so miffed when Agnieszka does magic in a way that magic is not supposed to be done.
This was just an enjoyable old school type of fantasy book. It's absorbing and readable and I really liked it. I'm definitely looking into the Temeraire series now. Maybe not this year because I'm still trying to do the Thursday Next series and the Others series and those books are huge. But definitely next year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Temeraire series fans, dragon book fans, fantasy fans, Diana Wynne Jones fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five pissy dragons

No comments:

Post a Comment