Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Book Review: The Wrath and the Dawn

TITLE: The Wrath and the Dawn
Book 1 in the Wrath and the Dawn series
AUTHOR: Renee Ahdieh
PUBLISHED: May 12th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Retelling
PREMISE: A fantasy retelling of A Thousand and One Nights.
MY REVIEW: I wanted to read this one the minute I heard about it. Fantasy involving A Thousand and One Nights? Awesome concept. Plus, I'm always up for retellings. Luckily, the author managed to deliver on the awesome concept.
I will admit, the romance....iffy. It's a bit insta love for my taste, but the author does try, I'll give her that. She also doesn't try to ignore the more problematic aspects of this tale so that was nice. What mostly sold me on this book was the lovely prose and imagination for the world. Both are great.
Like many YA novels, this one is a page turner. Despite the page count, I actually managed to finish it in two days. It's very absorbing and very entertaining. I say, job well done, and I look forward to the rest of the series.
WHO SHOULD READ: Retelling fans, fantasy fans, fans of the story A Thousand and One Nights
MY RATING: Four out of Five storytellers

No comments:

Post a Comment