Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Book Review: Spelled

TITLE: Spelled
AUTHOR: Betsy Schow
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fairy Tale Retellings/Mash-up/Reimagining, Fantasy
PUBLISHED: June 2nd, 2015
PREMISE: In a world of fairy tales, a princess goes on a quest after messing up big time.
MY REVIEW: I am so torn about this one. On one hand, it's right up my alley. It's a reworking of fairy-tales. It's metaish, there's a spunky heroine. There are so many references and puns. It is damn enjoyable.
It's just...not really what I'd call a well written book. It's actually a little juvenile in tone for a YA book as well. I felt this might have been more suited for the middle-grade crowd, more then for the YA crowd. It also drags a bit and the world...isn't terribly developed well.
But for a average read, it's still darn enjoyable if nothing else. I can deal with average books if it's at least a FUN average book. This isn't the most challenging of reads, but I've certainly had worse.
WHO SHOULD READ: Once Upon a Time fans, Retelling fans, those who like parodyish sorts of books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five magical shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment