Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books With Diversity

Again, trying to get back into the swing of things. This is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish

This Week's Topic: Books that Celebrate Diversity

1) Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Why: I admit, the plot wanders on this one. But the topics it talks about are on point and make you think.







2) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alere Saenz

Why: One of my favorite LGBT reads out there. It has won awards for a reason.






3) Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Why: Like Americanah, the plot on this one wanders and its slang is a wee bit outdated. But the things it talks about are important and still very relevant.








4) Love is the Drug by Love is the Drug
by Alaya Dawn Johnson
Why: Such an interesting dystopian. Johnson's books are all good about celebrating diversity too. Check out her other book, The Summer Prince.






5) The Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovich

Why: I love the Peter Grant series. It's one of the more mainstream titles on this list with a snarky black male lead who solves paranormal/magical mysteries in London.


6) Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis

Why: Anytime someone tries to tell you diversity in fantasy just can't be done because it'd be too obvious or distracting or some other stupid reason. Laugh at them, then put this book in their hands.






7) The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pearce

Why: Another series that proves you can have diversity in mainstream fantasy is this fabulous series. I will warn, most of the diversity comes later in the series which has not only many fabulous PoC characters, but LGBT characters as well.






8) I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Why: Another favorite LGBT title of mine.








9) Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina

Why: Full disclosure, I haven't read this one yet. But a lot of people say it's wonderful and it shows up on lists a lot.






10) Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz

Why: Another one I haven't gotten too yet, but that I've heard very good things about. It's been making the rounds this year a lot.






4 comments:

  1. What sort of time period is Aristotle and Dante set in? I've seen it around a lot and the title intrigues me but I haven't read anything about it..
    Fab list :)

    Check out my Top Ten here!

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a contemporary novel, so it's set in present day.

      Delete
  2. I havent read the circle of magic books, but my best friend LOVES that series and author.
    My ttt
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-books-that-celebrate.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had "Rivers of London" on my TBR pile for quite a while and keep thinking that i get to it, but after reading what you say about it i really should pick it up, because it sounds fantastic. I do love a good snarky character in a book series.
    Great list and variety in your picks.

    ReplyDelete