Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book Review: The Wicked Will Rise

TITLE: The Wicked Will Rise
Book 2 in the Dorothy Must Die series
AUTHOR: Danielle Paige
PUBLISHED: March 30th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Retelling/Reimagining, Fantasy
PREMISE: Amy continues her journey through Oz after her failure of a mission in the palace.
MY REVIEW: Dorothy Must Die was a book I had overall mixed feelings about. I enjoyed it for the most part, but there were things, such as the slut shaming, that made me kind of cringe.
I'm happy to report, this second one is much more polished then the first. There are still a few iffy moments with the humor that don't thrill me that much. But the author focuses more on this wacky version of Oz, which is what I'm mostly here for. I just love this dark Oz that the author has presented us with. Plus, this one actually does try and get into the psyche of these characters, particularly with Amy and as a result, they're much more interesting to me now. Character development goes a long way, authors. Far longer then forced love traingles.
Overall, there was definitely improvement. There's still some things about it that make me sigh, but I wasn't sighing as much as I was in the first book. The plot is still entertaining, Oz is still wonderfully messed up, and I honestly can't wait to see more. I can take a few annoyances here and there if you give me a entertaining story, and the author definitely does do that.
WHO SHOULD READ: Dorothy Must Die fans, Wizard of Oz fans, Once Upon a Time fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five wicked witches

1 comment: