Monday, July 20, 2015

Book Review: Beastkeeper

TITLE: Beastkeeper
AUTHOR: Cat Hellison
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade
GENRE: Retelling/Reimagining
PUBLISHED: February 3rd, 2015
PAGES: 208
PREMISE: Sarah finds out her family is cursed and is sent to live with her grandparents.
MY REVIEW: This one was...an odd book. Normally, I like odd. Pretty much all my favorite books can be odd. But this one wasn't well...good odd, if you will. For me, there are good kinds of odd and bad kinds of odd. The good kind is stuff like Discworld or the Thursday Next series. Stuff that has random and weird things going on but it all comes together in a magical and enjoyable way in the end.
Then there's the bad kind of odd. This is the author having a bunch of ideas but they never quite mesh the way they should. They're clever ideas, but in the end you're just too confused to make sense of it and that gets in the way of enjoying the book. That is what happened to me here.
This was definitely an interesting idea. It was just a confusing one. Maybe I just wasn't getting it, I don't know. I just know I liked the concept of the book more then I liked the book itself. I say this is one that should be checked out of the library first to see if it's for you.
WHO SHOULD READ: retelling fans, middle-grade fiction fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment