Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Book Review: Prince of Fools

TITLE: Prince of Fools
The Red Queen's War Book 1
AUTHOR: Mark Lawrence
PUBLISHED: June 3rd, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A prince gets caught up in conspiracies while his grandmother wages a war.
MY REVIEW: I picked this up not knowing that it's apparently part of the Broken Empire series. Luckily it's a spin-off about completely new characters, so I wasn't totally lost while reading it. I'm sure there are probably some easter eggs here and there that I missed though. Which is why at some time in the future, I'll be picking up the Broken Empire series, because I really did like this.
One thing I'll warn about: this is what I call dude-bro fantasy. It is fantasy that is about dudes who go on adventures together and doing manly things like fight in wars and flirt with wenches. The dudes are usually always white and naturally none of them are gay (though I was shipping Snorri/Jalen like nuts through out it, so sorry author). There's little to no relevant female characters in it. I mean you have the queen...and you have the queen. I mean, there are side-bit female characters but they add basically nothing to the plot. They're either there to be love interests or just there. So, this is very traditional fantasy. It's not very inclusive with the diversity at all. But at least the female characters get treated better in this world then they do in Game of Thrones. Kind of.
This is my first Mark Lawrence book, and I'm thinking I'll look into the Broken Empires series now. Because despite being disappointed in the lack of diversity/female characters...the writing was good and I enjoyed the characters. I just wish the author thought a little more outside the medieval fantasy box.
WHO SHOULD READ: Game of Thrones fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five snarky princes

No comments:

Post a Comment