Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Book Review: Hollow City

TITLE: Hollow City
Miss Peregrine Book 2: Hollow City
AUTHOR: Ransom Riggs
PUBLISHED: January 14th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: Jacob and the students of Miss Peregrine travel to London.
MY REVIEW: I don't know why it is that I just can't get as excited about this series as everyone else seems to get. To be clear: I do like it. I do think it's a perfectly decent series and I'm kind of looking forward to the movie.
I just don't get that thrill that everyone else in the world seems to get from it. Part of it I know, is that I just don't get the overhype surrounding it. But honestly I don't get the overhype machine ever, so there you go. To me, this is just another fun YA paranormal. The section is full of series that are just as wonderful and imaginative as this. But apparently the rest of the book world doesn't know about those books, because I keep hearing about how this is super unique. Now, yes, the way Riggs tells the story with the photos he finds is fabulous. I also love the powers he came up with for the kids. But story wise...this is kind of X-menish and most of the stuff in it are tropes that are very familiar to those of us who read lots of paranormal YA. So...I don't particularly agree that this is the best thing since sliced bread. Good entertaining book? Absolutely. Most unique thing ever? Not so much.
But I've made peace with the fact that I'm in the minority on feeling this way. I don't at all expect this to change the fact that the next book will be everywhere when it comes out too. I'll also probably read that one too, because as I said: I like it. I just think the hype is really overblown.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the first book, historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five weird photos

No comments:

Post a Comment