Thursday, November 13, 2014

Book Review: The Glass Sentence

TITLE: The Glass Sentence
Book 1 in the Mapmakers Trilogy
AUTHOR: S. E. Grove
PUBLISHED: June 12th, 2014
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade/Childrens
PREMISE: In a alternate world, a girl gets swept up in adventure when her uncle is kidnapped.
MY REVIEW: I admit, I've been slightly out of the middle-grade loop this year. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is the only one I've read at all this year which makes me feel slightly sad. Because middle-grade fiction is truly a gold-mine of imaginative stories sometimes. This book, is a perfect example of that.
Because holy hells, I love this author's imagination. She took one simple idea of what would happen in history if this had happened and explores that idea wonderfully. Seriously, I love alternate history because you can play around with it so much, and play this author did. Now, sometimes the playing did slow down the story a bit. The author is apparently an historian and I can tell, because she liked giving all the details. While the world-building lover in me adores that, I can't ignore that this sometimes slowed the plot way down and interfered with character moments.
But all in all, I really loved this old-school adventure that reminded me of why I still read middle-grade fiction despite not having any kids. I think I'm going to have to catch up in this section. Anyone know some really good releases that have come out in the past year or so?
WHO SHOULD READ: Alternate history fans, His Dark Materials fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five maps

No comments:

Post a Comment