Monday, November 3, 2014

Book Review: Lock In

TITLE: Lock In
Book 1 in new series
AUTHOR: John Scalzi
PUBLISHED: August 26th, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Sci-Fi/Dystopian, Mystery
PREMISE: In the future a man joins the police FBI and takes on his first case...
MY REVIEW: Confession time: I've never actually read John Scalzi. I've been meaning too for years. Because Redshirts sounds like all kinds of awesome and I follow him on Twitter and he seems like an awesome person all around. Also when I say I haven't read him yet, I get that LOOK. You all know the one I'm talking about.
After reading this, I totally get what the fuss is about. Normally, it takes me awhile to get into Sci-Fi books. Usually because the authors are so hell bent on proving their science cred that they forget that little thing called story and so I tend to get bored. This is why I tend to prefer fantasy over sci-fi. Scalzi manages to find that happy middle. Where he does do some interesting plausible world building AND manage to have a great story/characters at the same time. He has somehow managed to make not just good sci-fi, but sci-fi that everyone can read. Yes, my friends, it can be done.
Basically, I loved the hell out of this. This, I think, is what Meyer was TRYING to accomplish with The Host but failed to do. This really is Sci-Fi for those who can't get into Sci-Fi. But it manages to do so, without insulting Sci-Fi fans. Redshirts has now gone up on the TBR list.
WHO SHOULD READ: Sci-Fi fans, John Scalzi fans, I Robot fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five detectives in a sci-fi world

No comments:

Post a Comment