Thursday, November 6, 2014

Book Review: The Keeper of Lost Causes

TITLE: The Keeper of Lost Causes
Book 1 in the Department Q series
AUTHOR: Jussi Adler-Olsen
PUBLISHED: 2011 (in the US)
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Mystery
PREMISE: A down on his luck detective in Denmark gets shafted into solving cold cases. His first involves a dead politician.
MY REVIEW: Yes, my friends, another reading through the library read. You love these, don't you? This weeks find is a mystery thriller from Denmark. Apparently this one is popular in Denmark, to the point that they made it into a movie (or a tv show?, I just saw film stills when I looked it up in Google so I don't know the whole story).
I actually kind of liked this one. It's kind of reminiscent of Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, just minus the rape/torture scenes (thank God). The main character isn't as interesting as Lisbeth, unfortunately, but he is interesting. He's got the grumpy detective thing going for him. But honestly, his cheerful partner was who I liked. I hope we get his back story in the next few books (yes, I'm continuing the series). The only warning I can give is that since it was written for a Denmark audience, it tends to assume you're familiar with Denmark politics and in-jokes. So, some of that was a little confusing. But not to the point that it made reading it impossible. Personally, I found the peek into Denmark rather interesting.
The mystery is nice and twisty, the characters are interesting enough to make you want to read the next one. I can see why it caught on in Denmark.
WHO SHOULD READ: Girl With a Dragon Tattoo fans, Mystery fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five grumpy detectives

No comments:

Post a Comment