Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten New to Me Authors I read in 2013

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten New to Me Authors I Read in 2013:

1) John Green-This year I finally read all of the John Green. While I may not hold him as high up in quality as the literature crowd (his stuff is enjoyable for sure, but hardly groundbreaking), I am happy I finally read his stuff and I look forward to his next book.

2) Alexandra Bracken-I discovered the Darkest Minds series earlier this year instead of last year and I'm so happy I did. It proves that the dystopian is not totally dead. There are still new things to do with it.

3) Ruta Sepetys-No, I didn't read Between Shades of Gray, but I did read her latest, Out of the Easy and thought it was really good. I will probably be checking out Between Shades of Gray next year.

4) Rick Yancey-Yancey has actually been writing books in YA for awhile. But he made a breakthrough this year with The 5th Wave which is another book that proves the Dystopian genre can still have some good stuff in it.

5) Alethea Kontis-I finally read Enchanted a month or so ago and Hero is in my current batch of library books. I'm in love with this adorable retelling series.

6) N. K. Jemisin-I picked up Hundred Thousand Kingdoms because one of the websites I frequent was reading it and I'd never heard of it. I'm so glad I picked it up. It's one of the most interesting adult fantasy books I've read in awhile. I will be reading the second as soon as possible (meaning next year).

7) Juliet Blackwell-Cozy mystery author who writes a series about a witch solving murders that is so much fun.

8) Stephen Chbosky-Yes, I finally read Perks of Being a Wallflower this year. Granted, I wasn't as into it as a lot of people are but I think Perks is one of those that is best read when you're actually a teenager. I'm sure my teenage self would have related to it much more then my current adult self (especially as I went to high school in the nineties like the characters in this book).

9) Barry Lyga-Like Yancey, Lyga has been around for a bit. But he had a breakthrough last year with his book I Hunt Killers which I finally read this year and enjoyed quite a bit despite some reservations about it. Hopefully I'll be reading the sequel soon.

10) Megan Shepard-Hangman's Daughter was one of my favorite debuts of the year. I can not wait for the sequel, which comes out next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment