Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review: Drink, Slay, Love


TITLE: Drink, Slay, Love
AUTHOR: Sarah Beth Durst
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Vampires, unicorns, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Pearl is a young vampire who gets stabbed by a unicorn, giving her the ability to walk in the sun and for the first time, feels.
MY REVIEW: I got a kick out of this like I do all of Durst's books. She's very tongue in cheek. She knows she's dealing with campy material and runs with it. Sure I wasn't crazy about the convenient ending, and sometimes Pearl felt a bit Sueish but everything else was just so much fun.
While Pearl felt Sueish sometimes she's an enjoyable Sue and goes through growth so I can't complain too loudly. It was nice seeing the author show us the effects that being a vamp has on her and how suddenly growing feelings effects her ability to function as a vampire. The romance was sweet, I actually did like Evan even if I find his whole changing her life part a little questionable. I loved the hell out of Bethany and was happy that the populars weren't made into the stereotypical mean girls of the school.
If you've read Enchanted Ivy or Ice, you've got a good sense of who Durst is as a writer. She puts new spins on things, has a lot of fun with well known subjects, has plenty of imagination, and is just plain fun. I look forward to whatever she brings us next because with Durst it's always a surprise.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Ice and Enchanted Ivy, vampire fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five bottles of blood

No comments:

Post a Comment