Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: Between the Sea and Sky


TITLE: Between the Sea and Sky
AUTHOR: Jocelyn Dolamore
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: mermaids, angels, romance, fantasy
PREMISE: A mermaid goes to find her sister on land and winds up falling in love...
MY REVIEW: I have to repeat what I said about Dolamore's first book: I LOVE her imagination. She manages to make tired YA trends (in this case mermaids and angels) and make them feel shiny and new. She describes stuff beautifully, her characters are likeable and honestly there really are no real hard reasons to dislike her stuff.
But at the same time it's also rather predictable. If you love fairytale-like books I totally rec her stuff. But if you want something a little less cutesy with more meat too it...you're probably better off going elsewhere. Because while I like her books they are somewhat obvious ending-like and rather cutesy.
So to recap: good imagination and great for fairytale lovers. But also a bit average and predictable. Makes for a decent library read but I'm not sure if it's a must read. I will say this for her: she managed to get me to like a mermaid book. While I still find it as juvenile as I find most of these YA mermaid things, it is enjoyable which the other mermaid books didn't have going for them.
WHO SHOULD READ: mermaid fans, Little Mermaid fans, fairy tale fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five fish tails

No comments:

Post a Comment