Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: All These Things I've Done


TITLE: All These Things I've Done
Birthright Book 1
AUTHOR: Gabrielle Zevin
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: dystopian, drama
PREMISE: A girl in the future who is part of a mafia family gets accused of poisoning her ex boyfriend.
MY REVIEW: Like all of Zevin's books, this one is well written, well plotted, and well characterized, and unique. I really have no huge complaints about the quality of it because it is a very decent book.
But I do have complaints about the fact that once again we have a great Dystopian set-up and it's virtually ignored in favor of dull romance and predictable drama. Also I had some issues with the romance particularly the whole "hey I love you after knowing you for like a month. Great. I don't want to have sex until marriage even though I'm not a very religious person and have said so. Awesome. Let's get marred! Sure!" Then they get married without any protest from the family? Just...WHAT? It doesn't help that I see no real basis for the relationship to begin with. It felt like he married her just to tick off his dad.
But those issues aside this was a interesting book and well written despite some faults. I just hope the next book goes more into the world problems because otherwise why on earth are you bothering to make this Dystopian if you're not going to use it?
WHO SHOULD READ: Gabrielle Zevin fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five chocolate bars

No comments:

Post a Comment