Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Review: Wake


TITLE: Wake
PART IN SERIES: Book 1 in the Wake Trilogy
AUTHOR: Lisa McMann
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: paranormal, romance, trilogy
PREMISE: Janie has the annoying (in her opinion) gift of visiting people's dreams. Whether she wants to see the dreams or not.
MY REVIEW: Perhaps it's a bit unfair, but I was expecting a lot more from this book then what I actually got so I was a bit disappointed. But I did like it. I liked the idea which for once was different then what is going on in YA (no vampires, or werewolves, or love triangles! YAY!). Janie was an interesting heroine and some of the lines and scenes in it were hysterical.
My issue is that one) I didn't care for the writing style. It doesn't even have to do with my annoyance about presant tence usage. It has to do with the way the beginning jumped around a lot. Two) It was rushed. I wished the author had taken time to flesh out more details and give us more info. I mean, why does Janie get this power? Is she the only one? Are there other people like her? What? Perhaps more will be explained in the rest of the trilogy though so I'm not extremely disappointed.
So my feelings on this book are a little mixed. I did enjoy it and will be reading the rest, but I felt more could have been done with it and would have appreciated a less awkward way to tell the story. But I still do recomend it if you're in the mood for good old fashioned paranormal things that don't include vampires or werewolves or a love triangle.
WHO SHOULD READ: paranormal fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five pillows

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in June
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment