Friday, June 25, 2010

Book Review: The Amaranth Enchantment


TITLE: The Amaranth Enchantment
PART IN SERIES: standalone novel
AUTHOR: Julie Berry
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: fairy-tale retelling
PREMISE: Lucinda is down on her luck. She's gotten booted out of her home and now finds herself involved with a theif and a witch called the Amaranth witch...
MY REVIEW: While I appreciated that this was a different take on the Cinderella story...I didn't absolutely love it. I didn't see why Lucinda fell for Gregor, I actually would have preferred she got with Peter. I also didn't understand why the author did a old-fashioned story in the telling of a modern story because present tence storytelling is a very modern thing and it felt out of place for a fairy tale retelling and for a story taking place in a medieval like setting.
It's not a horrible book. Peter cracked me up and there were enjoyable bits. But honestly, this was just ho hum for me. But I do reccomend it for those looking for a different take on Cinderella.
WHO SHOULD READ: fairy tale retelling fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five amaranth flowers

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in June
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challange
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment