Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Book to Movie Review

TITLE: Alice in Wonderland
DIRECTOR: Tim Burton
SOME ACTORS/ACTRESSES: Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bartem Carter to name a few
PREMISE: When she was young, Alice had the infamous adventure in Wonderland. Now she's older and thinks it was a dream. Her life is not going the way she wants, and just as it all gets to be too much she falls down a familiar rabbit hole...
MY REVIEW: This is so far my favorite movie of the year. I know there are a lot of naysayers out there who hate what Burton has done to Alice (my newspaper's reviewer complained about him making it into "just another fantasy film" but he hates fantasy films in general so yeah...) and perhaps they have a point or two (I do admit as much as I love Burton, I wish he would work with different people sometimes). But I don't care. I loved it. Best movie in the world? No, not really. But fun take on Alice in Wonderland? Most definitely.
Visually it's spectacular. I will note that I did not see the 3D version, mostly because I feel 3D is a gimmick nowadays for films and I don't care for it. Especially since this film is so beautiful it doesn't NEED 3D popping out at you distracting from the awesome CGI backgrounds. Costumes were awesome (I want those blue stripe rosette gloves Alice had so bad) and as always the characters were great. I loved Johnny Depps version of the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat was the perfect blend of cute and creepy (crupy if you will...okay that's kind of lame).
Anyway, it's a great movie if you're an Alice in Wonderland lover who doesn't mind that Alice has been slightly tweaked a little. Kids will love it, I'm sure. In fact I'm positive, because the kids who were watching the movie in the audience with me were TOTALLY QUIET. No, I'm serious! They were! I feel like congratulating Burton just for that alone.
WHO SHOULD SEE: Alice in Wonderland fans (who don't mind changes), fantasy freaks, Tim Burton fans, Johnny Depp fans, you want to see a visual effects movie but don't want to see Avatar because like me you're sick of hearing about it
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five Cheshire Cats

1 comment:

  1. I went to watch this last week. I thought it was fantastic and am itching to go again. I’ll be buying it as soon as it hits DVD :)

    BTW I have an award for you on my blog.
    http://thefictionenthusiast.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete