Monday, March 29, 2010

Book Review: Fire Bringer


TITLE: Fire Bringer
AUTHOR: David Clement-Davies
PUBLISHED: 1999
GENRE: Young adult, adventure, quest story, fantasy
PREMISE: There are troubled times among the deer and a prophecy tells of someone who will bring peace.
MY REVIEW: My problem with this book isn't that it's badly written. I do actually think the author has talent in that he does great great world building and I have no problem picturing what is going on. My problem is however the storyline and characters. More specifically, it lacked these things.
The storyline is pretty much like every hero's journey story you've ever read: there's a prophecy, destined to bring peace, evil guy to overthrow yadda yadda. To be blunt, there's nothing new in this other then the fact that it's deer instead of humans. As for the characters...they didn't have much personality and being deer it was hard to relate to them and thus it was also kind of hard for me to really care about them in the long run.
But that's just me, I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this book. Honest though, I'm not entirely sure WHO the target audience for this book is and am not sure who to rec it to except for maybe fans of Watership Down. So it's not a totally horrible book...it just lacks something that makes me say it's a must read.
WHO SHOULD READ: Not really sure...maybe if you liked Watership Down
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five deer

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in March
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment