Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Book Review: Faerie Wars


TITLE: Faerie Wars
PART IN SERIES: First in Faerie Wars Chronicles
AUTHOR: Herbie Brennan
GENRE: Young adult, fantasy
PREMISE: Henry catches a fairy in a jar and end up being caught up in a war between the faerie realms.
MY REVIEW: This is one of those books that you don't really hear about often. These books can be either really bad, just be for a certain audience and therefore never gain popularity or have no publicity and therefore no one hears about it beyond word of mouth. I think Faerie Wars fall into just for a certain audience category and it also is (sorry Mr. Brennan) kind of bad.
Not to say it totally sucks. There are some good things about it. The faerie world is very imaginative. Unfortunately the book jumps around too much, there's next to no character developement (or even character personality), and I ended up scratching my head a lot through it and wondering what the point of it all was. But I think perhaps I was not the target audience. I believe this was meant for younger male readers who were fans of Artemis Fowl (which I was not overly thrilled with either, sorry AF fans). Other then those things though, everything else in this book is just average with a dash of Mary Sue (Holly Blue) and just nothing that captured my interest and made me want to read the next book in the series.
WHO SHOULD READ: younger male readers
MY RATING: Three out of Five faeries in a jar
FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
Support Your Local Library
YA Challenge
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in March

No comments:

Post a Comment