Sunday, March 28, 2010

Book Review: Nobody's Princess


TITLE: Nobody's Princess
PART IN SERIES: First of two books so far
AUTHOR: Esther Friesner
PUBLISHED: 2007
GENRE: Young adult, historical fiction, greek mythology tie-in/rewrite
PREMISE: Most of what people know about Helen of Troy comes from the Illiad but what about before? This is Helen's story in her own words.
MY REVIEW: Helen of Troy was always kind of an interesting character for me. I often felt she was overlooked quite a bit by greek writers and I'm thrilled someone else has felt so too. Friesner has taken Helen of Troy and given her a history, character, and nerve.
Is the premise in here unlikely? Yeah, probably. But I don't care. I love the thought of a Helen of Troy who wanted to do more then just sit back and be pretty or search for love. I do sort of find it hard now to imagine this Helen of Troy as the same one from the Illiad but I'm betting Friesner comes up with a brilliant way to explain things.
On top of the awesome Helen of Troy story there are also references to other greek myths/tales such as the tale of Atalanta (another heroine who is virtually ignored by greek writers, and also teachers because mine certainly never covered her), Theseus and many others. I love the dip into greek history and I can't wait to read what happens next.
WHO SHOULD READ: Greek mythology buffs, historical fiction fans, you like strong female leads
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five greek heroes

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in March
YA Challenge
One Hundred Plus Books
Support Your Local Library

I also apologize for lack of updates this week, for some reason my computer was hating Blogspot these past few days and either not loading it or not letting me sign in. Technology ;insert grumble here;

No comments:

Post a Comment