Monday, March 8, 2010

Book Review: The Mists of Avalon


TITLE: The Mists of Avalon
AUTHOR: Marion Zimmer Bradley
PUBLISHED: 1982
GENRE: Adult, fantasy, fiction retelling
PREMISE: The women give their take on the tale of Arthur and Camelot.
MY REVIEW: This was a ambitious idea. I do give that it was beautifully written and some of the historical stuff mixed in with the tale of Arthur that we know was interesting and it does make you think. Unfortunately, I didn't care for how the book was executed.
It was a bit annoying how the point of view jumped from woman to woman. I kind of wish the author had just done either one woman or dedicated each book to a woman. I also think that the book was way too long and could have done with cutting parts because a lot of it was not needed for the central idea of the story. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out why people kept telling me this was a feminist book because I didn't really see anything feminist about it except for the fact that it's written in the point of view of the women (and many of those women were whiny and self-righteous and didn't actually neccessarily do anything). But that could be just me. I also found the religious talk rather annoying at times (but again that's me).
So while it is an interesting tale, it was just sort of dull for me. I do reccomend trying it out at least once if you're into epic fantasy though.
WHO SHOULD READ: King Arthur fans, epic fantasy buffs
MY RATING: Three out of Five swords

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
Support Your Local Library
One Hundred Plus Books

No comments:

Post a Comment