Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Book Review: There's Someone Inside Your House

TITLE: There's Someone Inside Your House
AUTHOR: Stephanie Perkins
PUBLISHED: October 5th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Thriller/Mystery
PREMISE: A girl moves to a new town to escape her old life only to be caught up in a series of murders....
MY REVIEW: So, it has been almost three years since Perkins' last book. I mean, a book she wrote by herself. She did edit some short story collections here and there these past few years. If you had told me after Lola and the Boy Next Door that her next book was going to be a thriller, I would have laughed in your face. But....here we are. 2017 sure has been a weird year.
Personally, I am all for authors branching out into new genres and trying new things. This definitely was new for Perkins and....I think she more or less succeeded. I can sort of take or leave thrillers and this one was okay. It had all the usual trappings these things have. The romance was forced, and frankly unnecessary, but I've seen worse. There are silly reveals at the end. There were red herrings all over the place. A good creepy atmosphere going on with the town. It was typical thriller du jour.
I went into it wanting a bit of a R. L. Stine kind of thing and that's basically what I got. It did its job. It's not the best book ever. But it's not the worst. All in all it was just okay for me. Good for if you want those creepy mystery vibes, but not much else.
WHO SHOULD READ: Thriller fans, horror movie fans, Stephanie Perkins fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of five okay thrillers

No comments:

Post a Comment