Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Book Review: Jane, Unlimited

TITLE: Jane, Unlimited
AUTHOR: Kristin Cashore
PUBLISHED: September 19th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasyish...
PREMISE: A girl gets invited to her friend's mansion and presented with choices...
MY REVIEW: This book is very much a quirky book. So I will point out: it won't be for everyone. That's probably why its gotten so many mixed reviews on Goodreads. It doesn't follow the typical plot of a book. Instead, Cashore modeled this after old-school choose your own adventure books. One adventure goes into a mystery, another a spy thriller, then there's a fantasy type one, and so on.
I found this one very interesting to read, and ultimately I liked it. But I imagine some people won't like the quirky way it's written, the quirky meta sense of humor, etc. But again....I did like it. So I think this will just ultimately come down to a matter of personal taste.
I definitely give Cashore props, because this was one of the more interesting YA books I read this year. I am all for authors taking more risks and playing around with different ways of telling a story. Cashore definitely did that here. It worked well for me. But again, this is one of those books that I think will not appeal to everyone, so I suggest checking it out of the library first, to see if it's for you.
WHO SHOULD READ: Kristin Cashore fans, gothic mystery fans, fans of the old choose-your-own-adventure books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five quirky books

No comments:

Post a Comment