Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Review: Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

TITLE: Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History
AUTHOR: Laurel Thatchter Ulrich
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: History
PREMISE: The author who came up with the slogan well-behaved women seldom make history, talks about where the slogan comes from and various women from history who inspire the idea.
MY REVIEW: This was a random whim read. I know the phrase used in the title. In fact, I have a sticker of it somewhere, which probably surprises none of you. I picked this one up mostly to find out about where it came from because I'm nosy like that.
The chapter going into the history of that, is very interesting. From there the author goes into various women who have "mis-behaved" in history to explain what she's talking about. The result is a lot of mini-bios of women from medieval times to Gloria Steinam. It was interesting, but too brief for my tastes. Also the author had the tendency to ramble. Now, I'm probably the last person who should judge rambling. But in a published non-fiction book...it gets old fast.
I did like this book, I just...wanted more. Mostly what it made me do is seek out biographies of the women mentioned for further detail. So if you're completely new to women's history, this might be a good beginner book for you.
WHO SHOULD READ: biography fans, feminists, history fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five boss ladies getting stuff done

No comments:

Post a Comment