Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Book Review: Down With the Shine

TITLE: Down With the Shine
AUTHOR: Kate Karyus Quinn
PUBLISHED: April 26th, 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl takes her families illegal moonshine to a party, not realizing its power to grant wishes is in fact, very real.
MY REVIEW: I don't know what to make of this book to be honest. I...think I liked it. Maybe. However, there are issues. I'm not crazy about the romance in it. I also feel like there were two stories crammed into one here and the stories kept competing with one another.
I will say I like this author's imagination. This was one of the most unique ideas in urban fantasy I've read in awhile. I loved what she did with the wishes and the chaos it produced. If the author had just stuck to that element of it, this might have been a better story. But she started throwing all these other plot ideas that seemed to come from somewhere else. I kind of get the feeling they're trying to make this into a series. If it is a series and these plots are going to be explored more...okay. Then this is a perfectly decent first intro. But from what I see, it's not going to be a series so we're left with a bunch of plots that don't get explored enough instead.
There were things I liked about this book and there were things I didn't like. It's definitely a quirky one and it's a little too rough around the edges plotwise for my taste. It was interesting, if nothing else.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Kate Karyus Quiin, urban fantasy fans, fans of quirky books
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five moonshines

No comments:

Post a Comment