Saturday, October 3, 2015

Book Review: Mechanica

TITLE: Mechanica
AUTHOR: Betsy Cornwell
PUBLISHED: August 25th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A retelling of Cinderella set in a steampunk world with faeries.
MY REVIEW: Every so often I come across a book where I just honest to god, have no idea what I think of it. Mechanica is one such book. I didn't particularly adore this book. Nor did I quite hate it either. But I wasn't indifferent to it either, because it's a rather interesting take on Cinderella.
I will say, I love the world created here. It's highly imaginative. The characters are...okay. Not really ground breaking characters, but for once...this was an interesting love triangle. I know...who knew! But love triangles don't have to be crappy guys, and this is one that...is not like a phenomenal one but is rather interesting. Also for a Cinderella remix, it didn't go the way I was expecting. It's nice when fairy-tale retellings go unexpected routes.
But the story is also slow, as interesting as the love triangle was...it did tend to drag everything still. The writing was also average. So...this one was a bit of a mixed bag. I do know that my feelings about it are mostly positive. I hope this author sticks around, she has interesting ideas.
WHO SHOULD READ: Retelling fans, Cinderella fans, steampunk fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five Cinderellas

No comments:

Post a Comment