Friday, October 23, 2015

Book Review: From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess

TITLE: From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Meg Cabot
PUBLISHED: May 19th, 2015
CATEGORY: Middle-Grade
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: Meet Olivia, a young girl growing up in New York who has just discovered she is in fact a princess.
MY REVIEW: I wavered a bit on whether or not I was going to read this one, but in the end, I caved. Olivia was so damn cute in Royal Wedding that I couldn't help but be curious about what her series was, despite it being aimed at younger readers.
Now, if you've read Royal Wedding...this book is mostly a rehashing of that plot, we just get to see the events from Olivia's point of view and learn some other things about her. Olivia is fun. She's different from Mia, and grew up under different circumstances. Even how she discovers her lineage is different. So this is not just Princess Diaries 2.0. Olivia is her own character and she's a blast. I look forward to finding out more about her in future books.
I can't say for sure how this will fare among the target audience. I have no kids so I don't really know what the tween crowd is into nowadays, but I would think at least one kid out there would relate to Olivia and her friends on some level.
WHO SHOULD READ: Tweens/younger teens, Princess Diaries fans, Meg Cabot fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five tiaras

No comments:

Post a Comment