Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Reading Through the Classics: Mansfield Park

Title: Mansfield Park
Author: Jane Austen
Published: 1814
Category: Classic
Genre: Romance
Premise: Fanny is brought up by her rich relatives.
My Thoughts: This is an interesting Jane Austen book. I personally find it to be one of Austen's most socially commentary books so far. Money is a thing brought up time and again. Actually, money seems to be a huge thing in Austen's books. Far more so then romance frankly. I find it interesting how most adaptations of these works don't touch the money issue. By interesting, I mean, awfully telling.
I kind of see why this one isn't the most liked of Austen's books. The characters are all pretty heavily flawed and it doesn't have the easy tied-in-a-ribbon romantic happy ending Austen's previous books have had.
Honestly...I'm not sure if this can be classified as romance. It's more interested in social commentary then giving the romantic happy ending.

Best Quotes:
-A large income is the best recipe for happiness I have ever heard of.
-Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure.
-Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.
-A fondness for reading, properly directed, must be an education in itself.
-No man dies but on the stage, Mr. Crawford

No comments:

Post a Comment