Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Book Review: Say You're One of Them

Title: Say You're One of Them
Author: Uwem Akpan
Published: 2008
Category: Adult
Genre: Short Stories, Realistic Fiction
Premise: A trio of short stories centering on families in Africa
My Review: First, I feel I should apologize for the randomness of my reviewing as of late. I have been reading. I just...haven't felt much like reviewing much beyond posting what I'm reading on tumblr. I'm trying to shake myself out of this and catch up on stuff. Honestly, I think it may be time to move on from this blog and stick to the tumblring. I don't know. I'll see how it goes till the end of the year and decide what to do.
As for this particular book, I did the audio version. Honestly...I don't have that many feelings on it. It was a read through the library find (and was a Oprah's Book Club selection at one point). I got what the author was doing. Knowing what I do about Oprah's taste in books, I definitely get why she picked it out. This is right up her alley.
But personally, I just couldn't get into it. I don't really know many readers who would either except for super serious lit readers who like super serious lit. For you, I totally recommend this. There is some lovely writing in it. It's just...not for me.
WHO SHOULD READ: Oprah's Book Club fans, literature fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment