Monday, May 11, 2015

Reading Through the Classics: I, Robot

Title: I, Robot
Book 1 in a series
Author: Isaac Asimov
Category: Adult/Classic-Modern Classic
Published: 1950
Genre: Science Fiction
Premise: A collection of stories from the future about robots.
Thoughts: I've been meaning to read this one ever since I saw the Will Smith movie years ago. I admit, I have a fondness for the film. If you're going to take a book and not follow the plot at all...at least make a good story out of it, and that film definitely did that. It got all the world stuff right anyway. I actually can kind of see the film as a lost tale of sorts that wasn't in the series.
So yes, the book is very different from the movie. Instead of focusing on one story that's part robot ethics/part mystery, Asimov goes into several stories about robots that is all about things like can robots gain a soul, do we sometimes go too far with technology, etc. It's all very interesting and thought provoking if nothing else. Whether or not there's a plot...is probably a matter of opinion. Having read this, I now totally get why they went the route they did with the film, because the book as is would make a hell of a confusing movie. Plus while they changed everything, they still got the basic theme of the book right, which sometimes is more then I can say for some films that follow their book to a T.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the I, Robot film, Isaac Asimov fans, science fiction fans, robot book fans

No comments:

Post a Comment