Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Book Review: Case Histories

Title: Case Histories
Book 1 in the Jackson Brodie series
Author: Kate Atkinson
Published: 2004
Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Premise: A PI investigates three old cases that are seemingly unrelated.
My Review: Okay, confession: I tried Life After Life, the book this author is mostly known for, and...I couldn't get into it. I think it was mostly me. I may try to get back to it in audiobook format. I liked the writing style, so I picked this one instead because I figured hey, mystery. Definitely more my thing.
I was right, I got into this a whole lot better then Life After Life. It is your basic literaryish PI novel. PI is down on his luck, gets a few cases and those cases help make his luck a little better. My only issue with this one is that I wish it hadn't been in multiple POVs. I think it would have been better to just stick to Brodie's POV. But that's a thing in literature/thriller writing so, what can you do?
So if you're a fan of the Cuckoo's Calling or Phillip Marlowe or any some such types of series, this one is definitely for you.
Who Should Read: Mystery fans, Cormoran Strike fans, PI detective series fans
My Rating: Four out of Five cold cases

No comments:

Post a Comment