Friday, October 4, 2013

Book Review: Goddess

TITLE: Goddess
Book 3 in the Star Crossed Trilogy
AUTHOR: Josephine Angelini
PUBLISHED: May 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Mythology
PREMISE: Helen deals with the consequences of her actions in book 2.
MY REVIEW: The Star Crossed Trilogy is one of those up and down sort of series for me. I enjoy a lot of it. I love the way the author plays with the mythology for one. She puts new spins on it in fun ways but also pays attention to actual Greek mythology. This is also one of the few YA mythology series I've read that has actually acknowledged that a lot of the Greek myths are messed up and often end tragically.
On the other hand some of the stuff in it bugs me. For instance there are some rather sexist comments in it occasionally which I find strange considering there are some pretty fierce women in this series who quite obviously don't need a man to tell them what to do with their virtue. Some of the things happening in this book were also odd for me, like the entire thing with Matt, Claire, and Ariadne. That whole thing made no real sense to me, sorry. I could maybe see Matt and Ariadne doing what they did, but Claire? No, not with the Claire that was presented in books 1 and 2. Oh, and did I call the whole Lucas and Helen not being related after all thing, or what?
So...while I still like this trilogy as a whole...stuff about it bugs me. All in all it's a satisfying series though, so I'm not complaining too loudly. I'll be interested in reading whatever Angelini has in store for us next for sure.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of the first two books, Greek Mythology fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five angry gods
Trilogy as a whole: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment