Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Review: Deja Dead

TITLE: Deja Dead
Book 1 in the Temperance Brennan series
AUTHOR: Kathy Reichs
PUBLISHED: 1998
GENRE: Mystery/Thriller
PREMISE: Temperance Brennan is a anthropologist who gets caught up in a case that brings danger to her and her family...
MY REVIEW: There are two ways to go about reviewing this series, it all depends on why you picked it up. Option 1: You love mysteries. It sounds cool. Option 2 (and the now more common option): You've seen the Bones TV show and fell in love and wanted to read the series that inspired it. For the record, I'm a bit of a combination of both. I love mysteries and any series with a female scientist/doctor type I'm going to likely pick up. But I also got really into Bones this past year thanks to a month long marathon of the first six seasons (don't judge me, it's Netflix's fault).
While reading this, it quickly becomes clear: this is nothing like the TV show. So I threw the comparison compulsion out the window because if you are going to judge something by a show you've seen before, chances are you'll wind up not loving the book. If you need proof, check out the negative reviews of this on Goodreads. Practically all of them started out with the whine of "this is nothing like the TV show. That's so much better!" No, it's not like the TV show but to say that makes this bad...I don't understand that at all. No, I don't like it AS MUCH as Bones. But I still think what Reichs has here is a very solid mystery. It's a bit too technical for my taste but to say it stinks just because it's not like the TV show it inspired...no. Sorry, but no.
If you want my advice, I would read this before watching Bones (assuming you haven't watched that already). If you've seen Bones and are not one of those readers who can read something without comparing...then don't bother because I can pretty much promise you won't enjoy it.
WHO SHOULD READ: Bones fans (willing to read it without comparing it constantly to the show), Mystery fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five skeletons


No comments:

Post a Comment