Monday, August 8, 2011

Book Review: Vesper


TITLE: Vesper
Book 1 in the new Deviants series
AUTHOR: Jeff Sampson
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young Adult
GENRE: werewolfs, mystery, urban fantasy
SHORT PREMISE: A girl starts taking on a new personality during nighttime.
MY REVIEW: Emily is a geek and proud of it. After the other Emily in her school dies, she starts taking on a whole new personality at night though. It wreaks havoc with her life.
I honestly don't quite know what to make of Vesper. It was definitely a unique take on the tired werewolf trend and I really appreciated that the author didn't stereotype and oh hey, actual characters! There was also a nice healthy dose of intrigue going on here. I was just as confused about Emily as to what could be going on with her. That said, I'm still a tad confused about stuff. I don't feel everything was properly answered in the slightly rushed ending. However, this is a first book, so I'm thinking many more questions will be answered in the coming books to which I'm looking forward to because this was otherwise a well done intro and not bad for a YA debut.
For anyone looking for a well written unique take on werewolfs, I recomend this. If you happen to like a little more romance in your books, then this probably isn't for you. Like I said, it's a first book but this is definitely a promising start.
WHO SHOULD READ: Werewolf fans, those who don't mind a lack of romance
MY RATING: Four out of Five video gamers

No comments:

Post a Comment