Saturday, August 13, 2011

Book Review: Dawn of the Dreadfuls


TITLE: Dawn of the Dreadfuls
Prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
AUTHOR: Steve Hockensmith
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: zombies, retelling
PREMISE: The Bennet sisters learn how to fight zombies.
MY REVIEW: In the prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies we learn how Mr. Bennett decided to teach his daughters how to train to fight.
Okay, I mildly enjoyed PPandZ. Was it badly written? Yes. But it was obviously meant to be a parody so I didn't outright loathe it or these other monster mash-ups that some have expressed hatred for. I will say, though they've gotten a tad out of hand lately (Little Women vampires? Really, guys?). So I don't loathe these. But nor do I think they're great stuff. They're kind of just there, you know?
So with some hesitation I got Dawn of the Dreadfuls at the big deal thing for 99 cents on Kindle. Like PPandZ it was just okay. I personally didn't understand the purpose of it because we already learned how the Bennetts trained in PPandZ, this was just unneccessary to be honest. I also didn't care for the further ruining of Mr. Bennett and the rest of the sisters or Mrs. Bennett herself. It's very obvious Hockensmith has deep character bias and you can tell in the treatment of the characters. It's annoying. Especially considering he takes the interesting character of Elizabeth and has basically made her a Mary Sue.
So I have misgivings, but these aren't really meant to be great literature so complaining about stuff like that is rather pointless. I honestly have no real opinion on this. It's just there. Some will like it, some will hate it. Me, I just sort of shrug at it.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, you like moster-class mash up thing going on.
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five dreadfuls

No comments:

Post a Comment