Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Review: Kitty and the Midnight Hour


TITLE: Kitty and the Midnight Hour
Book 1 in the Kitty Norville series
AUTHOR: Carrie Vaughn
PUBLISHED: 2005
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, werewolves, vampires, paranormal, drama
PREMISE: Kitty unexpectantly starts a radio show that caters to the supernatural.
MY REVIEW: I confess I was pleasantly surprised by this. Due to the cover and recent burn outs in the urban fantasy genre I went into this book with low expectations. But the author surprised me a lot with this. I will say the writing isn't all that great and it had that everyone against the main character trope that I'm finding is a common theme in urban fantasy and I must say I don't particularly care for it. Also, people (not me) may be bored by the lack of romance in this book.
But Kitty herself is enjoyable. She's sassy (WITHOUT being a bitch to everyone she meets may I add) and it's great watching her gain more confidence and independance in herself. I'm sure some won't care for it but I loved the angle that the author took with the pack and abusiveness because when you really think about it, the Alpha bossing everyone around like it normally is in werewolf books kind of is abusive. It was so nice having a female wolf recognize and fight it all the way. Oh and we actually have a female with a BRAIN who cares about issues and others. Thank you.
This book is by no means brilliant but it's definitely one of the better urban fantasy books out there. I look forward to reading the rest of this series and trying out the author's YA books. She just released one this year called Steel which looks really cool.
WHO SHOULD READ: Women of the Otherworld fans, Patricia Briggs fans, Kate Daniels fans, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five radio mikes

No comments:

Post a Comment