Friday, June 29, 2018

Mid Year Book Freakout, 2018

This is a survey thing that was created over on YouTube. I think it works pretty well for blogging as well so I'm going to borrow it. Basically it's a way to take stock of what you've read so far in the year. Here is the original video for anyone interested in doing it themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Wh0rPGfRg

I still can't believe the year is halfway over. Didn't we just start 2018?

The Questions:

1) Best book you've read so far in 2018:

I have a lot of favorites so far already. But I'm going to go with Diviners Book 3: Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray. I finished it a few days ago (review is coming soon) and I have feelings you guys. So. Many. Feelings.

2) Best sequel you've read so far in 2018:

Other then Before the Devil Breaks You, some other good sequels have been:

Three Dark Crowns Book 2: One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake
Broken Earth Book 3: The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin
Winternight Trilogy Book 2: The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden
Wayward Children Book 3: Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

3) New release you haven't read yet but want too:

Oh geez, where to begin? Here are some of the heavy hitters

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Flavia de Luce 9: The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley
Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi
Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles
Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
Illuminae Files Book 3: Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X. R. Pan
Trials of Apollo Book 3: The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan
Anger is a Gift by Mark Oshiro

4) Most anticipated release for the second half of the year:

It's so cute how they say release instead of releases

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
Conqueror's Saga Book 3: Bright We Burn by Kiersten White
Custard Protocol Book 3: Competence by Gail Carriger
City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab/Vengeful by V. E. Schwab
Kate Daniels Book 10: Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
Three Dark Crowns 3: Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
Warcross Book 2: Wildcard by Marie Lu
Strange the Dreamer 2: Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
What if It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera
The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee
Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Renegades Book 2: Archenemies by Marissa Meyer
Peter Grant 7: Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovich

5) Biggest disappointment:

How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather

This book should have been everything for me. It had so much potential. But it was all wasted on a typical plot I've seen a million times before.

6) Biggest surprise:

The Belles Book 1 by Dhonielle Clayton

I admit it, I was not expecting much from this book. I had hopes. Especially after the gorgeous cover was released. But the comparisons to The Selection kept putting me off. Luckily, the comparisons to that series turned out to not really have much merit, and this book turned out to be awesome.

7) Favorite new author:

Nnedi Okorafor
Emma Mills
Toni Morrison

8) Newest fictional crush

Yeah...I don't really do the fictonal crush thing. Plus honestly half the characters in the books I read are like 17 or whatever so me having crushes on them would be....not right. But here are some people I highly recommend as good possible romantic partners to people who are not old like me (or aromantic like me):

Finch from The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
Remy from The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton
Gideon from Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills
Elena from The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza
Adrian or Nova from the Renegades series by Marissa Meyer
Takumi from Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann
Abby and Garrett from Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli

9) Newest favorite character

The ship crew from To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

I utterly adored the Prince's ship mates from this book. They bickered and bantered and were all sassy and loyal. They were just awesome.

10) Book that made you cry:

Er...none really. I don't really cry during entertainment of any kind. I get really shocked. But I don't cry. One that did really get to me, mostly because I was just so angry on the main character's behalf was The Dangerous Art of Blending In by Angelo Surmelis. Does that count?

11) Book that made you happy:

Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills

This book is so adorable you guys. Just read it.

12) Most beautiful book you've bought/received this year:

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert.

That cover is freaking gorgeous. The one I got was an Owlcrate exclusive cover too and the background is green instead of black and I LOVE IT.

13) What books do you need to get to by the end of this year?

Well, see all the books from above. As for my Bronte sister read through, I'm in the middle of Shirley, and still have The Professor, Villette, and Emily's poems to get through. As for my classics list I'm hoping to do:
The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton
Candide by Volitaire
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Little Prince
Howard's End by E. M. Forester
and possibly Watership Down

14) Favorite Book Community Member

Eh....don't really have one? There are lots of people I follow on blogs as well as YouTube who just all give out great content. I don't particularly have a favorite, though I do love the Owlcrate team for their subscription boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment