Monday, January 11, 2016

Reading Through the Classics: Persuasion

TITLE: Persuasion
AUTHOR: Jane Austen
PUBLISHED: 1818
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Romance
PREMISE: A man from Anne Elliot's romantic past comes back and she is reminded of a love that could have been had her friend not talked her out of the relationship.
THOUGHTS: Having now read them all, I think my favorite book is between this one and Sense and Sensibility. Yes, I like Pride and Prejudice. It's good, don't get me wrong. But I far prefer these two books. They're more interesting to me commentary wise.
I think of all of Austen's books, this one is the most romance heavy of them. There's still Austen's frank social commentary/criticism. But there's a lot of pining in between that criticism. What can I say, I'm a sucker for good pining and this book has that in spades.
Sadly, this is the last Austen book I have to read. But I do plan on continuing to read through classics. This year expect to see lots of Sherlock Holmes, as I'm finishing up the series finally, and I hope to get through the clunkers that are Gone With the Wind and North and South as part of my goal to get all/a majority the romance books off my TBR list this year.

Quotable Jane Austen from Persuasion:

"I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives."

"How quick come the reasons for approving what we like."


No comments:

Post a Comment