Friday, November 15, 2013

Book Review: Bitterblue

TITLE: Bitterblue
Book 3 in the Seven Realms Kingdom Trilogy
AUTHOR: Kristin Cashore
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Adventure
PREMISE: Bitterblue tries to manage her kingdom as best she can while cleaning up the mess her father left behind and discovering lies within her own court.
MY REVIEW: I love the Seven Realms Trilogy. Is it perfect? No. But it is very well written and wonderfully crafted. Epic fantasy is a rare thing in YA nowadays, only a handful of authors do it, and well done epic fantasy is even harder to find. Seven Realms is one of the well done ones.
Bitterblue is possibly my favorite out of the three. It was a great character study and a great look at how just because a villain is defeated, doesn't mean he didn't leave things behind for the heroes to face. I've already said my piece about what I think about the supposed "anti-marriage"/man hating message that people are throwing around about this series so I'll spare you. Just know, I think that claim is completely bogus and made up by people who are threatened by the idea of women doing something outside of society norms. Not all women want marriage and babies guys. Doesn't mean, they think you're dumb for wanting it, it just means that they don't want it. Deal with it.
So I loved this. But then I'm completely biased where this series is concerned.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fantasy fans, Tamora Pearce fans, those that have read Graceling and Fire
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five royals


1 comment:

  1. I love this series so much! I was shocked when I went and looked at reviews of the books on goodreads and saw how many people were upset by the marriage thing! I was like...wait...that was offensive? What?! But I digress. I recently reread Bitterblue and Graceling back to back which was interesting, and now I need to reread Fire!

    ReplyDelete