Friday, November 8, 2013

Book Review: All the Truth That's In Me

TITLE: All the Truth That's In Me
AUTHOR: Julie Berry
PUBLISHED: September 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Mystery
PREMISE: A girl with a horrible secret writes them out to the boy she loves.
MY REVIEW: I picked this one up on a whim in the library. Those sorts of books can always be a mixed bag. This one was...somewhere in the middle. I didn't think it was horrible, but I was sort of bored while reading it as well.
The writing is lovely. The slow reveal of things is good. But honestly? That's about it. The characters are typical stock characters. I could tell the heroine was going to get her man despite appearances to the contrary. Once one got past the unusual writing style, it was a pretty average story (and I'll be honest, I didn't care for the writing style much. It seriously took me about one-third of the novel to even catch on that this was historical fiction. That's...not good).
So...not the best book in the world. Not horrible. I just couldn't get into it at all.
WHO SHOULD READ: Historical Fiction fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five diary pages

No comments:

Post a Comment