Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review: My Soul to Take


TITLE: My Soul to Take
Book 1 in the Soul Screamers series
AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Faeries, romance, mystery, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Kaylee starts screaming uncontrollably when she sees someone about to die. Then she learns that she is in fact, a sidhe...
MY REVIEW: Okay, first off issues: sometimes the book felt awful rushed. Especially where the romance between Nash and Kaylee was concerned (and that sometimes became too gooey for my taste). Plus some characters, particularly the character of Sophie felt two-dimensional but I'm hoping this is because the author is planning on developing those characters more in the later books of which there are currently four (and more forthcoming this year).
But for the most part, I dug this book. Kaylee was an okay MC. She felt a tad underdeveloped but she had brains for a change and cared about something other then her epic romance and she didn't know everything right away for a change. I liked that we learned about Sidhe as she did and I really liked this world that Vincent has created. It's interesting (particularly the part where reapers are concerned) and I feel like there's still so much more to learn and honestly can't wait. Oh, and frankly, I need more Tad backstory. NOW. I found him ten times more interesting then Nash and I'm pretty sure there's going to be a love triangle developing there which on one hand I'm tired of, but in this case I can sort of see it being an interesting one.
So this was definitely an interesting start to a very interesting looking series. Will be on the lookout for the rest of these for sure and I'm probably going to look into her adult books as well.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of faerie books
MY RATING: Four out of Five souls

No comments:

Post a Comment