Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review: The Darkest Night


TITLE: The Darkest Night
Book 1 in the Lords of the Underworld series
AUTHOR: Gena Showalter
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Romance, fantasy
PREMISE: Maddox is a demon of the underworld who finds a woman in his forest.
MY REVIEW: This is the first Showalter book I've read and after this...I have a feeling it'll be the only Showalter book I'll read. Perhaps it was my own fault, I did go into this with slightly higher then normal expectations because everyone keeps raving about her books online and on blogs. Normally I try to not let this influence me cause this has burned me before (Twilight, House of Night, Anita Blake and so on) but I let my guard down because this just sounded cool and like something I would dig. Boy was I disappointed.
Now to be fair, these are romance books meant to entertain and I suppose in that category they're all right. Unfortunately that doesn't erase the poor characters and poor plot that is all basically and excuse for sex scenes. Plus the book is rather sexist. The female lead is pretty much useless (and personality free) and basically is completely reliant on the male though Showalter does try to disguise that a bit, unfortunately for her she fails. The males, while hot, are basically two-dimensional stereotypes that capture little interest. To her credit, Showalter did try and when there wasn't poor characterization and sexism going on I was vaguely interested for awhile.
If you just want a mindless romance with hot sex scenes that yes, this book is for you. However, if you want a little more out of your romance novels, I'd suggest going elsewhere. Women of the Otherworld or Kate Daniels for instance are much better then this.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that want mindless romance with sex scenes
MY RATING: Two out of Five stereotyped males

No comments:

Post a Comment