Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review: I Shall Wear Midnight


TITLE: I Shall Wear Midnight
Book 4 in the Tiffany Aching series that is part of Discworld
AUTHOR: Terry Pratchett
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: fantasy, adventure, parody
PREMISE: Things are changing in Tiffany's world. Now she must face a horrible danger that she unknowingly brought as a result of kissing Winter.
MY REVIEW: Okay, before I start my annual gushing cause I freaking LOVE these books. I will say that sometimes they feel rushed and it would be nice if there was maybe more character growth and the ending was a bit abrupt.
But other then that, this was Pratchett's usual best. Tiffany really comes into her own in this book. You can see how much she's grown up and learned (my character growth issues has more to do with minor characters, not main characters). This is actually a bit darker then the previous Tiffany books but it is still not without Pratchett's trademark humor and spot on social commentary. I love how he takes common tropes in fantasy and twists them around and pretty much laughs at them.
Possibly this is the last of the Tiffany books which makes me sad because she has been my favorite among the Discworld witches. But I also look forward to whatever Pratchett has in store for us. If he has anything because I know he's been fighting a disease recently. If you are a regular Discworld reader, you know what to expect from Pratchett. If you haven't read Discworld, I suggest you pick up Color of Magic or the first Tiffany book, The Wee Free Men. I promise, you won't be sorry.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Discworld, those that have read the first 3 Tiffany books
MY RATING: Four out of Five feegles

No comments:

Post a Comment