Saturday, February 19, 2011

Book Review: Deception


TITLE: Deception
Book 1 in the new Haunting Emma series
AUTHOR: Lee Nichols
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: paranormal, mystery, romance
PREMISE: Emma's life is turned upside down when her parents disappear and she discovers she can see ghosts and everything she thought she knew about her family was a lie.
MY REVIEW: I must say I'm excited about this series. Finally, someone is doing good old fashioned ghosts. So rare nowadays, sadly as everyone is focused on vampires and werewolves and fairies and more recently angels. While this book is not without it's faults (Emma is slightly Sueish and whiny sometimes, writing is passable, usual YA tropes like love triangles, and some of the world rules were a little...odd to me) the good far outweighs the bad.
The best part is by far the mystery part. I honestly am stumped and have no clue where the author will take this. It's been a long while since that's happened and I always appreciate authors who manage to stump me so bravo Nichols. Plus I actually kind of enjoyed Emma, even if I sort of felt she whined and was a bit dim and I felt like the author kept piling stuff on her in order to make the reader sympathize her. As for the romance...it was okay. Honestly I felt it was the poorest part of the book, but I've read much worse in terms of romance so I'm not going to complain about it too loudly. Plus I don't think the author is going to make everything rosy between the couple so I'm reserving judgement till I see what she does with them.
All in all this was a promising start to a promising series. I look forward to reading more of this series which is coming sometime in April I believe.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of ghost stories, paranormal fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five ghosts

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good. There are a lot of vampire-werewolf-angel-fairy books going around at the moment. I love that kind of book, though, but I really miss ghosts.
    Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete