Thursday, September 30, 2010

Book Review: Prophecy of the Sisters


TITLE: Prophecy of the Sisters
Book 1 in the Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy
AUTHOR: Michelle Zink
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: fantasy, historical fiction
PREMISE: Lia's father dies starting changes in her family. She learns of a prophecy that has to do with her family and that she and her twin are destined to be adversaries in a dark battle for people's souls...
MY REVIEW: I'll say the stuff that didn't jive with me at first with this book. First, it's rather slow in the begining. While I was very intrigued by stuff that was going on, I didn't fall OMG in love with it like I did with Hex Hall and other books I've read this year. I'm still not totally OMG in love with this series to be honest. Oh, I like it well enough, and I'll definately be checking out the other books, but love? Not so much.
For starters, I didn't get the mixture of bible mythology/magic mythology in this one. It seemed like quite a stretch to me. For another, I would have liked more character developement on Lia's part and more stuff with her and James because I was rather confused about why she liked him so much. Okay, their families were close. What else? I got no real sense of who he was that made him such a big part of Lia's heart. It was sweet, don't get me wrong, I just felt these two characters (and other minor ones for that matter) needed more fleshing out.
Actually it all needed more more fleshing out because I was left with more questions then answers. Now I'm hoping that's because this is the first book and more about the world is going to be revealed in the next two books which is why I'm not complaining too loudly because as I said, I did enjoy it. I just kind of found myself wanting more from it? Still, it's a unique idea, the writing is well done, and I literally have no clue what is going to happen but I want to read on to find out what happens so really, it's a job well done aside from a few minor details.
WHO SHOULD READ: Gemma Doyle Trilogy fans, historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five petticoats

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in September
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment