Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Book Review: Magic Strikes


TITLE: Magic Strkes
Book 3 in the Kate Daniels series
AUTHOR: Ilona Andrews
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, mystery
PREMISE: Kate is once more drawn into pack business by her partner Jim. This time the business leads them to a dangerous one on one underground cage match...
MY REVIEW: With each book I'm warming up more and more to this series. I still maintain that it isn't terribly original but the characters more then make up for the unoriginality of it and slightly lackluster writing. I must say of all the adult urban fantasy I've read so far (which isn't much mind you as I'm still very new to the genre) Kate is one of the better female leads I've seen. She kicks ass and takes names, yet there's a believable vulnerability to her and she has flaws. Plus, she doesn't sleep with every guy in sight which is a nice change of pace.
I also think her relationship with Curran is definately one of the most entertaining and well-developed ones that I've seen as well. As with the previous books, I pretty much loved every scene the two of them were in together even if I sometimes felt like shouting "have sex already!" because lets face it, it's all leading up that way anyway.
This is a excellent addition to the series, though I was pretty angry about what happened with Derek (one of my favorite characters in the series) but at least he's okay more or less. Plus, it looks like there's going to be Derek/Julie like I hoped so I'm happy about that at least. I reccomend this series still and can't wait to read the next one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read the first two books, urban fantasy fans, Kelley Armstrong fans, Patricia Briggs fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five shifters

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in September
One Hundred Plus Books
Finish That Series
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment