Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Book Review: Eyes Like Stars


TITLE: Eyes Like Stars
PART IN SERIES: Book 1 in the Theatre Illuminata series
AUTHOR: Lisa Mantchev
PUBLISHED: 2009
GENRE: Young adult, series, fantasy, romance
PREMISE: Bertie's place in the Theatre is threatened and she must find a way to prove she belongs there.
MY REVIEW: This is quite possibly my favorite book of 2009 but I haven't read all of the 2009 releases so I can't totally say that. But I can say I loved this book. First off, it's a UNIQUE idea. In a time when YA is all vampires, werewolves, and fantasy books that resemble other past books it's refreshing to see a author who has come up with something NOT like other books (well, okay there were some echoes of Inkheart in it but not enough to make a difference). Plus, it was just hilarious. I'm pretty sure I had a goofy smile on my face throughout it due to the fairies who are hands down my favorite thing in the book. Bertie is also a great heroine that you can't help but root for and as a theatre buff I loved the theatre atmosphere and all the uninvitable quips and references that came with it.
Now, it's not completely flawless. I do wish Mantchev had spent more time describing things because in the beginning I was a tad bit confused about what was going on and was having trouble picturing things but eventually it came together so it's not that big of a deal. I also am a little tired of the love triangle sthick. Really, can't young adult authors write a romance that DOESN'T have a love triangle? It's not that hard. But I'm not thoroughly convinced this is a love triangle yet (she hasn't kissed Nate and I'm not sure if she even has actual feelings for Ariel and vice versa) so again, it's not that big of a deal as the love triangle isn't the sole thing driving the book.
So those minor issues aside, this is a great book. Highly reccomend to all fantasy fans, especially if you are into theatre.
WHO SHOULD READ: Theatre buffs, fantasy buffs, anyone inclined to pick it up
MY RATING: Four and a half out of five wise-cracking fairies

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in May
YA Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Yay I'm so glad you liked it! I'm writing my review RIGHT NOW.
    Lisa Mantchev sure is creative, isn't she? This was such a good book!

    Oh and thank you for the point you made about love triangles. I really think they've been done to the point of exhaustion, and I bet there will be more of that angle in PERCHANCE TO DREAM...
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I plan to pick it up soon since I'll be getting an ARC of Perchance to Dream. I'm now following your bolg :-)
    Be sure to check mine out too, http://readingangel002.blogspot.com I'm having a giveaway right now.

    ReplyDelete