Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book Review: Evermore


TITLE: Evermore
PART IN SERIES: First in the Immortals series
AUTHOR: Alyson Noel
PUBLISHED: 2009
GENRE: Young adult, series, romance, fantasy
PREMISE: Ever can see auras. When Damen arrives she notices she can't see his...
MY REVIEW: While this book wasn't godawful bad...it wasn't great either, nor can I really call it GOOD. Part of the problem is that it's in present tense and I can't stand present tense because I don't see the need to even write novels in present tense and it just feels and looks awkward to me. Now I try not to hold that against books because that's my personal preference, I can overlook if the author uses it well and effectively. Noel doesn't do that.
Then there's the fact that this book jumps around a LOT. Seriously, plot ideas come completely out of left field and disappear just as fast as they came. Oh look, she's a drunk now! Oh look...she's not. Plus it was frustrating because it seemed like every time something started to happen and build up, it would then cut off and suddenly we were on the next day. Then there's little things like the ridiculousness of the names (Ever? Damen? Stacia? Haven? See what I mean?), slight Mary Sue tendencies, young adult cliches, and stereotyping.
So not a horrible book...just not a great one either. Pretty forgetable too. I have no real interest in continuing it. But Twilight crowd may be interested in it so who knows?
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, romance fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five roses

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in May
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library
First in a Series

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to start this series. Too many reviews say the books are just average. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!!

    ReplyDelete